Monday, July 14, 2008

Thing #18 - Online Productivity Tools

I chose to do my exploring with Google Docs ... simply because I was already registered, and because of the familiarity of the Google format.

My initial reaction to this was, "When and why would I use this when I already have MS Office?" So my next task was to do a bit of exploring. After looking into it further, I realized that there is some definite value with using Goodle Docs.

There's an area I found on Google called Google For Educators that has a bunch of input from teachers on how they use Google Docs in the classroom. It was very helpful! The description from Google was probably the best I found on the subject:

Google Docs is an easy-to-use online word processor, spreadsheet and presentation editor that enables you and your students to create, store and share instantly and securely, and collaborate online in real time. You can create new documents from scratch or upload existing documents, spreadsheets and presentations. There's no software to download, and all your work is stored safely online and can be accessed from any computer.

This seems like it would be a fantastic tool in a lab setting with students. I'll definitely have to explore it some more!

No comments: