Monday, June 16, 2008

Thing #2 - attitude is everything

Right from the beginning of this short clip, 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners, I was reminded of something simple (yet easy to ignore, at least in my little world) -- attitude is everything. Specifically, "Successful lifelong learners believe attitude is everything."

It's very cliche, and something we've all been told countless times, especially in the world of education, where an important chunk of our responsibility lies in our ability (or lack thereof) to motivate! However, I repeatedly find myself bogged down in cynicism. I guess you could say, I'm often guilty of a 'glass-half-empty' attitude.

As a result, it was very easy for me to choose the most personally challenging habit of the 7 1/2 provided -- Habit 3: View problems as challenges. Man, oh man. I'm just not good at it. I'm a perfectionist, so any problems that may arise get in the way of my best laid plans for smooth sailing. Rather than viewing every obstacle as a learning opportunity, I instead tend to focus on how it has hindered me or impeded my progress. It's a daily struggle, and a personal challenge, for sure.

The easiest habit for me is Habit 1: Begin with the end in mind. I'm a goal-setter. It again goes back to that planning facet of my personality. But I'll readily admit that setting goals, at least for me, in no way ensures acheievement of these goals. In fact, I'm notorious for keeping a running list of goals in my head, yet stumbling and making excuses, as far as why I've yet to achieve them.

The good news is, I'm workin' on it!

No comments: