Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thing #8 - rss feeds

I think this was my first "A-ha!" moment in this whole little adventure! It blew me away! It was like a light was turned on in my brain -- RSS feeds: what they are, how they work, etc. The TeacherTube video was especially helpful, as far as getting the big picture.

I've avoided learning about RSS feeds because up until now, it seemed to complicated and not worth the effort. I'd see that little organge square and just scan right past it. Boy, was I wrong! I'm so excited to have finally tackled this (I actually forwarded the information on to my sister too ... so I'm spreading the knowledge wealth!). I used the Google Reader, and it couldn't have been easier.
  • I love the fact that the news is literally coming to me. How much lazier (and useful!) can that be?! Rather than scrolling through the same old stuff every morning, I now have a personal delivery system that is tailored to my needs. This is what technology should truly be about -- making our lives easier in a meaningful way. I also appreciate how "user friendly" the whole process is. You can't get much simpler than cutting and pasting a URL.
  • Subscribing to curriculum-based blogs would be an obvious way that this tool could make my life easier in the classsroom. And the more specific, the better! Reading ahead and planning lessons accordingly that are current and up-to-date is the immediate use that comes in mind. As far as personal use, oh man! The sky is the limit! But favorite blog updates is the first and foremost use I see using.
  • I'd say a big advantage for librarians would be the ease in using this tool to stay current and to keep a faculty current. New book releases, new ideas to share, new ways to disseminate information to students ... the possibilities are endless. Receiving a quick school (or deparment)-wide email from the librarian regarding a new and relevant bell or whistle would be a fabulous and helpful start to the day for most teachers.

No comments: