Friday, June 27, 2008

Thing #12 - communication


(attached image courtesy of HomesickTexan)

1. I guess the reason that any of us blog (or read blogs!) is because we enjoy communication -- specifically, written communication. Receiving feedback and thoughts from others is part of that process. Who doesn't like to hear, "I know exactly what you mean!" or "I've been there too!"? It confirms and validates our thoughts, feelings and actions, which makes the entire blogging experience a better one.

I noticed that in the ProBlogger article (10 Techniques to Get More Comments on Your Blog), several of the suggestions sounded very similar to questioning strategies that we, as teachers have long been encouraged to implement into our classrooms. Advice such as "Invite Comments", "Ask Questions", and "Be Open Ended" sound exactly like good techniques in a well-planned lesson! It makes sense, for sure. If you want good discussion, you've got to create an environment that fosters it.

An additional point that struck me after reading several of these articles is the fact that utilizing good common sense can go a long way. The Ten Commandments of Blog Commenting really exemplified this fact. Advice such as "Read before you write," "Be polite," and "When in doubt, ask" initially sound like statements of the obvious. But I think we frequently forget the old adage about true meaning often getting lost online. Never make assumptions that your point is being made, or getting across as you've intended. Throwing in a smile and using humor, as the Ten Commandments encouraged, can break down walls online, as well as in real life!

2. ongoing

3. I've mentioned in my profile that I'm a military wife. That's always a challenging role, but I believe that being the wife of a member of the Coast Guard can be particularly unique, in that many people aren't even aware that the Coast Guard is a branch of the military (a very old and revered one, at that!). As a result, the Coast Guard often feels like the forgotten child and is seldom recognized. Coast Guard families deal with many issues that members of other branches don't necessarily encounter, and it's sometimes hard to find a community of support.

Because of this, Waiting for ships to come in... is a blog that's become particularly near and dear to my heart. It's very well-organized, it's written and operated by articulate and supportive women, and just an all-around fun place to visit. I realize that it wouldn't be universally interesting to most, but for me, it fills a void. And isn't that what this whole blogging process is essentially all about?

Another one of my absolute favorite locations in the blogosphere is Homesick Texan. I'm a die-hard Texan, and an avid cook. I'm also someone who gets terribly nostalgic myself when I'm away from this great state, so I completely and thoroughly relate to the author of this blog. The site is a wealth of information, has original photography, and just an overall fantastic site to bookmark if you enjoy Texas cuisine (and who doesn't?!).

2 comments:

VWB said...

I think you have a very clear picture of what blogs do for people by your two personal choices...they fill a need for you, allow you share and have community with people of like minds!
I will be checking out the homesick Texan..although I have never had to live out of state, I live far away from a part dear to me so maybe I will fill connected!

Miss Lee said...

Your avatar is DARLING!!! And you are doing great - it sounds like you're really getting a lot out of this experience! Maybe we can collaborate on some cool quick lessons next year? Forge ahead! :)