Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thing #9 - useful blogs and news feeds

Which method of finding feeds did you find easiest to use? Choosing specific words or phrases and plugging them in was the easiest method for me. Being as detailed as possible helped weed out some of the superfluous results. But still, many unrelated topics and blogs made it through. What an overwhelming amount of information! It sort of boggles the mind.

Which Search tool was the easiest for you? Google Blog Search, for sure, probably because of the familiarity of the elements on the page, as well as the overall feeling that it's related to what I've already set up and used (the Reader, gmail, etc.). Plus, it was very user-friendly.

Which was more confusing? I wasn't real big on Syndic8. I didn't care for the lay-out at all. It was very busy and not at all easy on the eyes. I might be judging it rather harshly, but it just seemed rather thrown together and not as polished.

What kind of useful feeds did you find in your travels? Or what kind of unusual ones did you find? I found the SBISD Flipchart Repository! :) Something really fun (and unusual) I found when searching for blogs associated with the remote location where my husband is currently stationed is a site that lists all the rivers in the U.S. that begin with the letter Q! My students would love this random, crazy information! They're always really into trivia and obscure information, so I saved it to share with them in the classroom (great geography-related lesson!).

What other tools or ways did you find to locate newsfeeds? Following suggested links, on sites such as Syndic8 (i.e. "most read" or "recently updated"), or simply visiting my favorite sites and being more observant as to whether or not they supply newsfeeds.

WHEW! I'm exhausted! That was a lot to take in all at once. I think I'm going to have to revisit this after a glass (or two!) of wine this evening!

No comments: