Monday, June 30, 2008

Thing #13 - del.icio.us


Just when I thought RSS feeds were the absolute coolest "time saving" tool I was going to get out of my adventures with 23 Things, along came del.icio.us! Holy smokes, I feel so out of it! Where have I been?!?


Besides feeling totally behind the times, I've gotten such a kick out of actually LEARNING SOMETHING USEFUL from this course! I can really see del.icio.us.com being something that can change my internet life. So many uses for social bookmarking were popping in my head as I was watching these tutorials (so much so that I had to keep pausing the podcasts to re-focus and pay attention!).


Sidenote: my sister, currently a doctoral student, is reaping the benefits of all my newly-found knowledge as well. I've passed on so much of this to her!


I keep returning to the idea of book clubs in so many of my blog responses, but I guess that's because I'm such a book junkie! Both professionally and personally, this would be an excellent tool for collaboration in book clubs. I could easily envision our faculty using del.icio.us tags to discuss a professional book study subject, as well as associated topics.
As an alternative to the grueling Wednesday afternoon faculty meetings (when everyone is brain dead and not really interested in discussing books), I think exploring del.icio.us tags and ideas independently would be a great way for teachers to explore and share ideas "in their own time" (much like we are doing in this course), submitting their own thoughts and resources along the way.

4 comments:

LKP said...

You GO GIRL!!! And there isn't anything wrong with "sharing the wealth" of knowledge you get from the course ---- matter of fact that is what we hope you will do!!! Keep having fun!

Infomaniac said...

Elizabeth,
I was pleased to get your comment. I am a twin too. My identical twin sister lives in St. Louis. She is also a retired teacher. Thank you to your husband and to your family for his service to our country. God bless all of you.

Infomaniac said...

P.S. Where did you get the delicious image?

Jason Pfeifer said...

Greetings,

I came across your blog post regarding book clubs. I’m Jason Pfeifer, and some friends and I started an online service called Booksprouts, that allows people to create book clubs, choose books, invite friends, and read and discuss online. We are currently seeking people who might be interested in trying the site out, and giving us feedback on the service. We also welcome people who have blogs to write reviews of the site (good or bad) as a means of feedback. We’re really excited to hear what people think, and on how we can improve the site. It’s 100% free, by the way. Please feel free to check it out.

book clubs

regards,

Jason Pfeifer
Community Manager
Booksprouts.com